Sunday, October 26, 2008

First Deer of the Season

This is absolutely my favorite time of the year. This afternoon after church David had a soccer game in Walnut Ridge. It was wonderful weather for the kids to be running around the field. As soon as the game was over, my mom and dad took David and Breanna to McDonald's for some Happy Meals. Clent and I headed home to get in the woods.

Clent headed toward the creek and I headed toward my favorite hunting spot. I did not get settled in until around five o'clock. Hopefully, I did not spooked any incoming deer. I saw a spike and tons of doe. Since our hunting club has been issued doe permits, I could take a doe if I wanted to.

As it neared dusk I decided that I better take the next legal (thanks Amanda) deer that walks out within 100 yards. As the sun disappeared, not another deer came within range so I decided to go home. As a was walking to the Nitro, I saw a doe stick her head up. I immediately dropped my fold out chair and got her head in my sites.

I rarely aim for the shoulder of the deer. I like to shot mine in the neck or head. This time at fifty years, free handed, and standing I hit the doe in her right eye. This was a pretty cool shot. This was the first deer I have gotten with my muzzeloader.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm glad you got one! That was a good shot. BTW, don't you mean you were going to take the next "legal" deer that you saw. You wrote "illegal" and I figured that wasn't what you meant to post on your blog. *wink*